Dr. Serge Basini
T: 01 402 7082
Serge Basini is a Senior Lecturer in Behavioural Science in the College of Business at the Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT). DIT is the largest third level institution on the island of Ireland and the Faculty of Business is recognized as one of the leading centers of learning in the British Isles. In addition to extensive teaching experience nationally in DIT, NCI and DCU, and internationally in the University of Economics Czech Republic and the USA, he supervises research at undergraduate, Masters and PhD. level. He is currently examiner for the National College of Ireland, the Irish Management Institute, the Marketing Institute of Ireland and The Institute of Public Administration. He has published and presented nationally and internationally. He has extensive experience in Human Resource Management and Marketing Research consultancy, in diverse areas such as Recruitment & Selection, Motivational Training, Training Methodologies and Strategic Management.
- 2016: PhD, Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis in an Organisational Context. University of Limerick
- 2006: Cert. Training and Continuing Education. NUI, Maynooth
- 1992: M.B.S. Work and Organisational Psychology. HEA, Dublin City University
- 1989: Bachelor of Arts (Hons.) Psychology. NUI, University College Dublin.
- 2007: Professor of International Management, University of Economics, Prague, Czech Republic
- 1997-Present: Senior Lecturer, Organisational Behaviour & Behavioural Science . DIT, Aungier St, Dublin 2.
- 1997-Present: Guest Lecture Series, Employee Resourcing, National College of Ireland, IFSC, Dublin 1.
- 1993-1997: Lecturer in SHRM, Dublin City University Business School, Dublin 9, Ireland.
- 1994-2000: Lecturer in Organisational Psychology, Institute of Banking, Ireland.
- 1995-1996: Researcher Scholar, Dublin City University Business School, Dublin 9, Ireland.
- 1996-Present: External Examiner, Behavioural Science, Marketing Institute of Ireland, Dublin 18
- 1997-2007: External Examiner, Human Resource Management, DCU, Glasnevin, Dublin 9, Ireland.
- 1997-Present: External Examiner, Employee Resourcing, Dissertation & Management Report. National College of Ireland, IFSC, Dublin 1.
- 1998-2003: External Examiner, Organisational Behaviour, Irish Management Institute, Co. Dublin.
- 2002-Present: External Examiner, Stage 1 Project, Marketing Institute of Ireland, Dublin 18
- 2008-Present: External Examiner, BA & BBS Human Resource Management/IR Modules, IPA, Lansdowne Road, Dublin 4
Research Presentations - Publications
- 2008 KBS Research Conference - May 2008, University of Limerick Managerial Narratives on Absence: Emerging themes
- 2008 Academy of Marketing 2008, Annual Conference, Aberdeen, Fathers: A contemporary perspective on their role in child driven materialism with Catriona Nash. Peer Reviewed
- 2006 International Retail Summit. February 8th Prague, Ireland’s Labour Flexibility A European Comparison.
- 2005 Academy of Marketing 2005 Annual Conference, Child Targeted TV Advertising and its influence on the Child- Parent Purchase Relationship: An Exploration of Pester-power, with Catriona Nash.
- 2003 Academy of Marketing 2003 Annual Conference, Experiential Consumption and Sport Sponsorship: A Phenomenological Approach, with Gavin McAllister.
- 2003: Sports Marketing Association, USA Annual Conference, Current Issues in Sport sponsorship, with Gavin McAllister.
- 2002: The Marketing Institute of Ireland, Dublin. Ireland a Demographic Analysis Update 2002.
- 2002: Association for Consumer Research, Dublin, Gender and Consumption, with Carol Keating.
- 2000: The Marketing Institute of Ireland, Dublin. Ireland a Demographic Analysis 2000.
- 1998-1999 National Distance Education Centre, Dublin City University. Human Resource Management Handbook, M.Sc. in Operations Management.
- 1997 2nd Conference on Management Research in Ireland (UCC) Employee Motivation in Irish Voluntary Organisations. with Finian Buckley.
- 1997 European Congress of Psychology Annual Conference (UCD) Third Sector Research in Ireland, with Finian Buckley.
- 1997 Eighth European Congress on Work & Organisational Psychology. (Italy) Psychosocial attachments in Irish non-profit Organisations, with Finian Buckley.
- 1997 Voluntary Action Studies in Ireland. Employee Needs & Expectations in the Irish Voluntary Sector
- 1996 The 27th Conference of the Psychological Society of Ireland. (Waterford) The Meaning of Working in The Irish Third Sector, with Finian Buckley.
- 1996 Management Research in Ireland: The Way Forward The Growth Of Professional Management in the Irish Third Sector.
- 1994 The European Work & Organisational Psychologist. The Meaning of Working & Hierarchical Level, with John Hurley.
- 1992 The 23rd Conference of the Psychological Society of Ireland. (Cork) The Meaning of Working and Hierarchical Level.
- 1990 The 21st Conference of the Psychological Society of Ireland. (Kilkenny) New Technologies Acceptance in Organisations.
Current Primary Research Activities
- A Phenomenological Exploration of Employee Willful Absence, PhD – University of Limerick
- Absence Management, The relative effectiveness of Punitive Vs Motivational Strategies
- Gender Based Employments Equality Iniatives: The Shattering of The Glass Ceiling
- Occupational Stressors and Gender based coping strategies
- The movement towards individualised bargaining, A Phenomenological Perspective
Current Academic Administrative Roles
- DIT College of Business, Sub Group Chair: Assigning Grades to Written Projects (Since Sept 2007)
- DIT College of Business. School Review Group: Quality Enhancement Procedures.
- DIT Member of Faculty Board, Faculty of Business (Elected November 2003)
- DIT Faculty Board Sub Group Chair : Programme Quality Assurance
- DIT Member of Academic Council (Elected November 2003)
- DIT Member of Human Resource Management Special Interest Group
- DIT Member of Corporate Social Responsibility Special Interest Group
Current Client List
- Musgraves Retail Partners Ireland
- Hickeys Pharmacys
- Irish Aviation Authority
- Aer Rianta
- Irish Cooperatives Organisation Societies
- Local Government Computer Services Board