When you return from travelling abroad

If you feel unwell, particularly if you have a fever, persistent diarrhoea, persistent cough, vomiting, jaundice (yellowing of the eyes and skin), in the weeks after being abroad:

  • Contact your GP or doctor in the Student Health Centre click here to see how to make an appointment
  • Tell your doctor about the countries you visited, as it may be important.
  • If you have a fever after returning from an area where malaria is common – contact your doctor immediately


If you had unprotected sex while abroad or are worried you may have a sexually transmitted infection you should have an STI check-up.

  • click here for details of the STI service in the Student Health Centre. It is important to receive treatment early, and your visit will be strictly confidential.
  • You can go to an STI clinic in your local area click here for details.
  • Some GP’s offer STI screening.

If you need booster vaccinations arrange an appointment so that you don’t forget about them.


If you had a tattoo or body piercing while abroad and think it may not have been performed under sterile conditions contact your own GP or doctor/ nurse in the Student Health Centre to discuss blood tests