Ever thought of being your own boss? Think you have an innovative idea worth developing? Got a product of the intellect that has commercial value ‘Intellectual property’? Want to commercialise your research? Don't be intimidated, help is at hand.
Do you have what it takes?
Entrepreneurs see a market opportunity and have the drive, commitment and motivation to develop resources to meet this opportunity. Are you self-confident, resilient, results oriented, single-minded and hardworking? Check if you have some of these skills and characteristics to be an entrepreneur, by taking one of these "Am I an entrepreneur" self assessment quizzes:
Help is at hand
A good business idea, coupled with the right support and advice can indeed be successful. There is a lot of help available including getting started to producing a business plan, resourcing, funding, taxation, legal aspects and more. See our resources
Connecting Academia and Innovation
Linking business and academia, entrepreneurs, innovators, students, graduates, researchers, through practical advice as well as courses:
- DIT http://www.dit.ie/hothouse/ The Innovation & Technology Transfer Centre provides help and advice to commercialise your idea, intellectual property or research
- TCD/UCD Innovation Alliance Fusing research abilities, expertise and resources to stimulate early-stage enterprise development
- DCU www4.dcu.ie/ryanacademy/about.shtml Promotes an entrepreneurial mindset and real innovation focus through training, supports and finance.
- NUIG/ITB/CIT/DKIT Accelerating Campus Entrepreneurship (ACE) InitiativeCreates entrepreneurial graduates
Courses to get you off to a flying start: www.qualifax.ie
- Business Access to State Information and Services www.basis.ie
- Enterprise Ireland www.enterprise-ireland.com
- County & City Enterprise Boards
"The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas" Linus Pauling